Below are statistics about museums as well as ways you can take action today and show your support of museums! (courtesy of the American Alliance of Museums)
Did You Know?
Museums spend more than $2 billion a year on education; the typical museum devotes three-quarters of its education budget to K-12 students.
- Museums directly contribute $21 billion to the U.S. economy each year. They generate billions more through indirect spending by their visitors.
- The nonprofit arts and culture industry annually generates over $135 billion in economic activity, supports more than 4.1 million full-time jobs and returns over $22 billion in local, state and federal tax revenues.
- Governments that support the arts see an average return on investment of over $7 in taxes for every $1 that the government appropriates.
- 78% of all U.S. leisure travelers participate in cultural or heritage activities. These travelers—including visitors to museums—spend 63% more on average than other leisure travelers.
- At least 22% of museums are located in rural areas and engage in programs to bring education and access to their materials to their communities in a variety of ways.
What You Can Do: Advocate from Anywhere
This year, wherever you are, you can use our updated tools and materials to join the nationwide effort to make the case for museums.
- Invite: Meet Your Legislators Locally
- Maximize Your Advocacy Efforts: Use the Alliance Publicity Toolkit
- Improve Your Advocacy Skills: Access our Online Advocacy Programs